Homemade Bone Broth
Purchasing ready made bone broth is so expensive! And frankly, making your own isn’t hard at all and it’s actually pretty tasty! Sipping on it on a cold wet fall day is also extra soothing 😌 Even if you don’t have a gut issue like me, incorporating bone broth into your diet is so good for your overall health. Benefits of Bone Broth:
- Treat leaky gut syndrome
- Overcome food intolerances and allergies
- Boost immune system
- Supports hair, nails, skin and joints
The hours of simmering causes the bones and ligaments to release healing compounds like collagen, proline, glycine and glutamine that have the power to transform your health.
Bone broths contain minerals in forms that your body can easily absorb: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and others.
Makes 8 Liters of Broth
- 2.5 pounds of grass-fed beef bone morrows
- 4 free range chicken feet (optional)
- 10 L of water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 leek stalk, chopped
- 3 segments lotus roots, sliced (optional)
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- 1 tbsp sea salt
You’ll also need a large stock pot (I used a 15 L one)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line baking pan with parchment paper, line bones and chicken feet. Bake for 45 minutes.
3. Fill stock pot with cool water, add cider vinegar and add baked bones. Let sit in cool water for 20 mins. The acid makes the nutrients in the bones more available.
4. Add all of the remaining ingredients then bring entire pot to boil.
5. Once boiled, reduce heat to a simmer and let simmer for at least 24 hours to 48 hours. I simmered mine for 48 hours.
6. Periodically, with your ladle or large spoon, skim any foam and fat that rises to the top and discard.
7. Turn off heat, let sit until cooled. With a strainer, transfer broth into mason jar and refrigerate up to 7 days or freeze for later use. If you plan to freeze, leave at least a couple inches near the top of jar so it does not explode when frozen.