You’ll require 10 x 250 ml Mason Jars. They’re very affordable and easily be found at your big box stores like Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire (if you’re in Canada). I bought 12 for less than $12!
Baking glassware can be tricky. They’re meant to be baked in a bath of water and cannot be dry baked. They may break if you bake them dry! Place the jar in a bath of hot water with at least ½ inch submerged into it. You’ll need a deeper baking pan for this (9”x13” baking pan or dish).
This recipes makes 10 jars
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup red bell peppers, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup sweet potato, raw and shredded (small sweet potato)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 16 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Once oil is hot, add onions, red peppers, frozen peas and cook until soft (3-4 minutes).
- Add sweet potatoes and all of the seasoning above and continue stirring for another 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Grease inside of jars with remainder of coconut oil.
- Fill baking pan/dish with ½” hot water, then place the jars inside the pan.
- Evenly divide the mixture into the jars.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and coconut milk together.
- Fill the jars with egg mixture, leaving 1 inch at the top empty (for eggs to raise and room to close the jar).
- Cover entire pan with foil paper, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until desired firmness of eggs.
- Use a tooth pick to poke and test whether it’s cooked thoroughly before removing. If the toothpick comes out clean, then it’s cooked.
- Let completely cool, garnish with cilantro, close lid and can be stored up to 5 days in the fridge.
Also, these can be enjoyed cold or warm. If you want to eat it warm, just remove the lid, and pop them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Let me know if you like these! They’re my favourite recipe so far!